AT THE 'DESERT FLOWER' SCREENING!


A friend recently invited me to watch the movie 'Desert Flower' and when I saw the trailer, I was a bit skeptical. I went, 'yeah, yeah, another chance to bash Africa again!" "Making fun of the African girl as she learns to walk in high heels and waits to be saved by the Great White Hope!' Classic!  But I went along all the same... what did I have to lose? It also came with free pop corn and drink so it was all good!  When the lights dimmed and the movie started, I was sucked in, immersed in the story. I left the theatre seriously humbled! Yes it did have the same old story of the African being 'saved' by the white man, but it also told the awe-inspiring and gut-wrenching story of Waris Dirie who survived several odds including walkg for several days in the desert without shoes, food or water to escape marriage to a 65 year old man! As well as surviving the horrible experience of undergoing female genital mutilation!  I still can not wrap my brain around how a mother can hold down her 5year old daughter as a rusty, dirty, blood-stained blade is used to cut her genitals out, all in the name of custom and tradition! As if one does not have enough problems as it is! Gosh! What can I say? Big ups to Waris Dirie for being brave enough to speak out against this problem and draw international attention to one of Africa's (and the Middle East's) most inhuman, dastardly customs that needs to be abolished as soon as possible! For pics of the premiere, go to www.nollywooduncut.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHOTOS: ACTOR BOBBY MICHAEL'S LATE MOTHER REMEMBERED ON MOTHERING SUNDAY!

NEW MOVIE ALERT! 'GIRLS HUSTLE' STARRING KOFI ADJORLOLO, GIFTY OF BIG BROTHER NIGERIA, UMAR KRUPP etc

MCCLURE TWINS' FATHER & HIS OLD RACIST TWEETS !